I Fumbled My Blogging Roll!

When I started this blog, I had only the best intentions. That kinda fell apart (along with my face to face B/X game) but I've decided to give it a second go round.

After a couple months searching on Meetup and Dragonsfoot, I still couldn't get an in person game off the ground. So I decided to try Skype. I grew up playing D&D with the same folks, middle school through high school, and even though it had been years, several agreed to give a Skype game a shot.

So since November 2011, we have played dungeons & dragons on Tuesday nights for about 2.5 hours. Despite some issues with the medium, I have to declare it an overwhelming success. The timing is right, the camaraderie is high, and I'm getting to DM the type of games that I enjoy. I couldn't be happier.

Initially I ran my 4 players through a heavily modified "Ruins of Adventure." I've loved that module ever since I played the old Gold Box game on DOS. The majority of that game is recounted on this thread on Dragonsfoot: http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=52496. That game fell apart for a couple of reasons (probably a post in itself) but the group was ready to try something else a week later.

I put together a list of things I wanted to try and had each player rate them in order of preference. Choices included Carcosa meets Dino-riders, Gunpowder & Witches, Mythic Bronze Age, Traveler-esque D&D in Space, and a more traditional D&D game using 1E or B/X. Gunpowder & Witches edged out Carcosa in the final tally.

We are now six or seven weeks into our new game and it's been going well. I did a lot of modding up front, and we are currently running off a rough draft based on Basic / Lamentations of the Flame Princess. I want to start my new blog go round with a run down of the rules and setting of this current campaign. From time to time, I will also go into the 9-months spent in Phlan, the highs and lows of gaming on Skype, my IRL 1E game as a player, and my thoughts on some of the OSR products I've enjoyed.

Chaz  

No comments:

Post a Comment